Sunday, December 4, 2011

Victory Dark Intrigue


Last year Victory Brewing Company released a limited batch of their Storm King Stout on steroids.  This amped up version was known as Dark Intrigue, a bourbon barrel aged version of their Storm King Stout.  Precisely, it is the Storm King aged for a summer in bourbon barrels from Jim Beam and Heaven Hill Distilleries.  While I was lucky enough to enjoy a 2010 bottle last December, I am saddened to read on Victory's site that this will be the 2nd and last batch of Dark Intrigue.  I guess not all good things are meant to last.

I purchased this beer with the intent on aging it for a bit or at least for more than 2 days (yeah...that didn't happen).  So, in a moment of weakness I decided to bypass the leftover beers in the big fridge and crack open the Dark Intrigue that I purchased this weekend.  For those of you that do get your hands on a bottle, it does say on the bottle that it can be aged for up to 5 years...good luck with that.

I had this in the beer fridge for only a day or so, so the temperature was pretty close to optimal drinking temp (not too cold).  I poured this one into a 22oz snifter (thanks Ikea) and it was beautiful - pitch black with a nice 2 inch head.  While I did steal a quick sip to fit all of the 750ml into the snifter, it was only done to allow the entire beer to be poured into the snifter.  I then put the snifter down and let it open up & warm up a bit while the wife and I wrote our Holiday cards.  
After about 10-15 minutes I decided it was time to sip & enjoy.  While I knew what to expect as I'd had this last year, I was still excited.  Upon first sip, I was instantly greeted with bourbon, vanilla, and dark chocolate; not a bad way to start.  As it warmed up, it also mellowed out.  I was able to taste some roasted malt and a pretty decent amount of hops.  If you've had a bourbon barrel aged beer, you know you're going to get a pretty good smell and mouthful of the bourbon...but this one was pretty subdued throughout.  At the very end it was a bit boozy, but that's to be expected.

Kev Rating: A- for the 2011 version; I looked back & see I rated the 2010 version an A
Style: Russian Imperial Stout (bourbon barrel aged)
ABV: 9.10%
Availability: Once a year - December.  Let's hope this isn't the last year as their website said.
Had: 750ml bottle; corked - purchased from Gordon's in Watertown
Region: Downington, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment