Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

The first few posts have been about some pretty hard to get beers, let's bring it down a notch to something a bit easier to find.  While this is not going to be on every shelf, I know of at least two stores right now where I could find it.  Also, I've been feeling the love today from my awesome cousin-in-law Etan and well, the first time I had this it was a gift from him.

When I started branching out and trying to find new breweries and beers, I came across a bottle of Victory At Sea - a Coffee, Vanilla, Imperial Porter by Ballast Point Brewery.  As someone who was always a fan of the dark beers, this easily caught my eye.  At some point I'll provide the full review on that inaugural voyage into Ballast Point's lineup, but tonight the focus is perhaps their most regarded beer - Sculpin IPA.

I had been dying to try this beer for a long time as it was always highly rated on BeerAdvocate and RateBeer.  However, I could never seem to find it on local shelves.  This past summer, Rebecca visited California and was given some amazing beers from some West Coast Beer Geeks (very close friends); included in the booty was the infamous Sculpin.  

After a very short lived fridge life, I decided to enjoy this one in the heat of the summer (I love a good IPA in the summer).  When smelling this one, I got an amazing overload of citrus - both grapefruit and something tropical.  Upon first sip, it had the unmistakeable flavors of West Coast Hops.  While the hops were really strong up front, it quickly mellowed and was extremely light & crisp on the finish.  This IPA is one of the best IPA's currently being brewed right now.  I try to pick one up periodically to simply sit back & enjoy...I highly suggest you do the same the next time you see it on the shelf.

Kev Rating: A
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.00% (70 IBUs)
Availability: Moderately easy to find at a store with a good Craft selection
Had: 22oz bottle, gift from Etan
Region: San Diego, CA

3 comments:

  1. Next trip you make out here, us West Coast Beer Geeks will bring you on a SoCal brew tour! Also, I say we rendevouz at Dogfishhead at some point in our lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, it's a date. And YES, it would be awesome to do a trip down to DFH, I hear they usually have some special stuff at the brewpub!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete