Saturday, January 14, 2012

Samuel Adams Infinium

A lot of us beer geeks choose to drink beer to celebrate New Year's Eve each year...my choice this year was something a bit out of my normal beer radar - a Champagne style beer.  I'm not a big fan of Champagne, so this is a European style that never really interested me much.  However, a known American Brewery decided to throw their hat in the Champagne Beer arena so I figured I'd give it a shot.  

Now, most of you that know me, know that I am not a huge fan of the beer lineup for Samuel Adams.  However, I am a big fan of what they've done for Craft Beer in the US and in New England specifically.  Most bars, no matter how crappy their beer selection is, will have at least one Sam Adams beer on tap.  That my friends is called progress.  

So, I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Infinium at the last minute (January 30th) so that I could enjoy this on New Year's eve.  The procrastination cost me about $6.00 as my 1st beer stop (Gordon's in Watertown) sold out of Infinium ($19.99).  I instead had to go to Martignetti's in Allston (which I love too) and paid $25.99...yeah, that's the highest I've seen it too.  Oh well. 

I started out the evening with a Founders Breakfast Stout (one of my favorite beers on this big ole' planet) to ensure that no matter what, 2011 would be going out on a good note.  After some food (thanks Bex) and a few more beers, I popped the cork on the Infinium.  It poured nicely into my Brugse Zot glass (thanks Lacey), had a nice straw color to it, and was pretty carbonated (shocking, I know).  First sip was not great...but after getting a few sips in, either my palate adapted or the beer opened up a bit.  It had good citrus hops up front, lots of bubbles, and then a caramel/sweet malt presence.  

Definitely more champagne than beer, but worth the experience; probably not the price tag.  This one is good to have once, shared with friends, and then probably not again.  I can say that I was not expecting much and was surprised that it had more flavor than assumed.  Last year I had a fantastic extremely rare stout (Goose Island Bourbon County Brand RARE Stout - aged in Pappy Van Winkle Barrels) and will probably go back to a similar plan to end 2012 - cheers to you all in this new year!

Kev Rating: C+
Style: Champagne Beer
ABV: 10.30%
IBUs: 10
Availability:  First brewed in 2010, was at almost every beer store I went to this Holiday season.
Had: 750ml bottle purchased at Martignetti's in Allston
Region: Boston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment