Sunday, May 13, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Hoponius Union

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 5/11/12

Jack's Abby Hoponius Union
Kev Rating: A-
Style: India Pale Lager (like an IPA, but a Lager)
ABV: 6.70%
IBUs: 65
Availability:  A new brewery, but will be available year round
Had: part of a mix 6-pack I built at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont
Region: Framingham, MA

As most of you know, I love to support local breweries.  Well, a few months back I heard of Jack's Abby out of Framingham, MA.  I had the chance to try one on tap at the British Beer Company out in Framingham.  I remember liking the Red Tape Lager, but not being wowed by it.  Well, over the last few months their beers have been showing up a lot at a few of my craft beer spots.  So far I've tried a few and have been really pleasantly surprised.  

The first thing you have to know about Jack's Abby I'll borrow from their website, "Jack’s Abby Brewing's goal is to create truly remarkable beer that combines the strict standards of traditional German brewing with the innovative approach of American craft brewers. Jack's Abby Brewing specializes in lagers. We think expanding craft brewing to include lagers is long overdue. Lagers, which are more difficult and take longer than ales to brew, yield rich flavors and smooth, crisp taste. All Jack's Abby lagers are unfiltered and preservative-free."

LAGERS - I can't remember the last time I actually sought out a Lager.  Well, that time is now.  The Hoponius Union is similar to an IPA as it's an India Pale Lager.  It was full of citrus and pine hops on the nose, more citrus on the first taste...maybe some grapefruit.  Then as it opened up, I could taste the nice bready malt and full bodied smoothness of a Lager.  It lost that hop-bite that you'd typically get from an IPA.  

I highly suggest seeking out Hoponius Union if you're into IPA's, you'll be surprised how close, yet different they are!  

No comments:

Post a Comment