Sunday, May 6, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Fred


Kev's Beer of the Week ending 5/4/12

Hair of the Dog Fred
Kev Rating: A+
Style: American Strong Ale
ABV: 10.00%
IBUs: 65
Availability:  East Coast - impossible/West Coast - not sure how easily available but brewed year round
Had: Bex brought me a bottle from a California trip; yes I gave her a wish list
Region: Portland, OR

Quick note from the Brewery as to the name, "Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. This golden strong ale incorporates ten hop varieties from five different countries. Through the use of aromatic and rye malt, the beer achieves a unique balance of flavor. We hope that Fred will inspire you to share your knowledge with others as Fred has with us." 

I didn't know what to expect with this one as it's always been highly rated on BeerAdvocate, but I'd never had anything from the Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.  I was amazed at how deliciously complex this beer was.  When I poured it out, it had a beautiful white head that smelled of hoppy citrus.  When I tasted it, it was a great mix of rye, citrus, & caramel with just the right bit of prickly carbonation.  As it opened up, it just got better and better.  The only downside with this one was that I only had one bottle and cannot easily obtain more.  

If you're on the West Coast and can pick this up, you should.  It is very complex and doesn't exactly fit any beer style precisely, thus the "Strong Ale" moniker.   I HIGHLY Recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment