Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Old Rasputin

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 3/30/12

North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin
Kev Rating: A
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
ABV: 9.00%
IBUs: 75

Availability:  Year round, most decent Craft Beer stores have it at some point during the year
Had: 4-pack, purchased MANY times, last done so at The Spirited Gourmet in Belmont
Region: Fort Bragg, CA

I have been lucky enough to have this beer many times over the years.  It is one of the best readily available stouts out there today.  Anytime I'm craving a stout and don't have a particular whale I'm hunting, I pick up a 4pack of the Old Rasputin.  It is an intense robust imperial stout in every way.  From start - big roasted malt and chocolate, to finish - bitter chocolate and woody hops coming through - it is a consistent winner.  If you like stouts or are trying to like stouts (it takes time for some people), give this one a shot.  I've never met someone that simply went "eh" after trying it.  I highly recommend the Old Rasputin.  

Also, they release a Barrel Aged version of the Rasputin each year.  I've been lucky enough to have the last two versions - XII & XIV - both aged in Bourbon Barrels.  If you do find one of these rare barrel aged versions, I recommend picking one up to share with a friend, you wont be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment