Thursday, March 22, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Double Crooked Tree IPA

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 3/23/12

Kev Rating: A
Style: Double/Imperial IPA
ABV: 13.60% (not for the faint of heart or amateurs)
IBUs: 98
Availability:  February, but limited.  I have seen it at a few of the more serious Craft Beer stores in the area
Had: 4-pack, purchased from Glendale Liquor's in Waltham, MA
Region: Marshall, MI

Ok, so I guess I've not only been on an IPA kick lately, but a Double/Imperial IPA kick!  Last week I showcased the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.  This week, we take it up a notch with the Double Crooked Tree IPA.  While the Hoptimum was a screaming hopfest, the Double Crooked Tree IPA is a well balanced hoppy & malty beer.  The nose was full of citrus and piney hops.  The first sip was actually way more smooth than I expected, more caramel then big ole hops.  Don't worry though, the hops are there - just masterfully balanced.  The finish is very satisfying - clean & crisp!  Tread VERY LIGHTLY with this one, it is far from a session beer at 13.6%, but it did cap off the night for me very nicely.  I highly recommend seeking out a 4-pack or single (if allowed) of this beer as it's quite the example of a GREAT Double/Imperial IPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment