Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Hoptimum

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 3/16/12

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
Kev Rating: A-
Style: Double/Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.40% (sneaky high)
IBUs: 100
Availability:  Rotating, but difficult to get your hands on them on the East Coast.  They are at select Craft beer stores right now.
Had: 4-pack, purchased from Gordon's in Waltham, MA
Region: Chico, CA

This is an INTENSE hop experience.  I see why they sell it in 4-packs!  What surprised me most about this one is that the nose was pretty calm.  The other night I was enjoying the Alesmith IPA and Bex from across the couch was like, "WHOA - that's hoppy!".  This one I had her sniff to be sure I wasn't losing my sense of smell, and she had no such reaction.  HOWEVER, upon first sip I was greeted or smacked or frying panned to the head with major hop overdose.  This is NOT for the faint of heart.  However, after the few waves of hops (piney, resiny, sticky, floral, & citrus) the assault is complete.  This is a great example of Sierra Nevada not being afraid to roll the dice, this beer is not for everyone...but damn did I like it!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment