Monday, July 2, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - White Oak

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 6/29/12
 
The Bruery White Oak
Kev Rating: B+
Style: Wheatwine (50% bourbon barrel aged)
ABV: 11.5%
IBUs: 20
Availability: Limited
Had: Purchased at Gordon's in Watertown
Region: Placentia, CA

Notes from The Bruery: "White Oak is a blended beer-- 50% wheatwine aged in Bourbon barrels (we call it "White Oak Sap"), and 50% Mischief (our Golden Strong Ale). Vivid caramel, coconut and vanilla flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale, White Oak is an exercise of balance."
 
I've been looking forward to bringing this beer to share with some friends and finally had an opportunity this past weekend.  Nick & I popped it open and poured it out.  It had a beautiful hazy orange color with a thick white head.  The nose was definitely bourbon with some gentle wheat coming through.  First sip was more wheat and malt than bourbon for me.  It then opened up nicely with the caramel and vanilla notes.  
 

While I've had many Barleywines, this is only my second Wheatwine (Boogoop being my first).  I definitely think this one is worth a purchase, especially when sharing with a group.  It goes down nice and easy, but has those really nice bourbon notes to keep it really interesting!  
 
Cheers & Happy 4th of July to all of you out there on the Interwebs!


No comments:

Post a Comment