Monday, July 16, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - MO Pale Ale

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 7/6/12
 
Kev Rating: A-
Style: American Pale Ale
ABV: 6.00%
IBUs: ?
Availability: Rotating in small batches
Had: Most recently purchased at Gordon's in Watertown
Region: Portland, ME

If you've been following along, and I know you have, you'll know that I have enjoyed the small batches of beer being produced by the Maine Beer Company (Lunch IPA, Zoe, Mean Old Tom, Peeper, and MO).  MO is an American Pale Ale named after head brewer Daniel's twins (Madeline & Oliver). 

After I opened it up, it was a beautiful orange/red hazy color with a full white head.  The nose was full of citrusy goodness.  The first sip was way more hoppy than I had anticipated...but still balanced.  Most Pale Ales are more balanced with the malt & hops, but this one definitely leans in the hops favor.  The malt is there and provides balance, but the citrus is strong with pineapple and fruit.  The finish was incredibly dry & crisp - a great way to end this fantastic beer.

If you have a chance to pick up a MO, I highly recommend doing so.  I've sent one out to California to my friend Morgan (MO) and brought one recently to a BBQ.  They're still hard to come by, but hopefully the more we all support the Maine Beer Co, the more batches they'll be able to make!
 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was so happy you ladies liked it!! It's damn tasty, I'll have to get another care package together for you soon :)

      Delete