Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Stone IPA

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 7/27/12
 
Stone IPA
Kev Rating: A
Style: American IPA
ABV: 6.90%
IBUs: 77
Availability: Year round
Had: Most recently purchased from Gordon's in Waltham
Region: Escondido, CA

One of my favorite year-round IPAs is from Stone Brewing Company.  There are a few go-to beers I rely on when going to a friend's place or when I'm really just not into the selection of untried craft beer, Stone IPA is one of them.  George turned me on to Stone Pale and Stone IPA a while back and I can't thank him enough.  

This IPA pours a crisp orange/amber color with a nice foamy head - beautiful.  Taking a whiff off the top you can get big notes of citrus hops and a bit of earthiness.  First sip is always a bit of a shock, bitter and clean from all the aggressive hops.  Then it mellows (or your palate simply defends itself) into a fantastic full bodied IPA - more citrus, pineapple, and pine touched so slightly by some malt just for a bit of balance...so good.

I highly recommend this IPA for any IPA lover out there, it WILL become part of your normal rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment