Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kev's Beer of the Week - Plead the 5th

Kev's Beer of the Week ending 4/13/12

Kev Rating: A-
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
ABV: 12.00%
IBUs: ?
Availability:  February, very limited
Had: 4-pack, the lovely ladies at Craft Beer Cellar reserved a 4pack for me!
Region: Marshall, MI

I've been on the lookout for this beer for the last few years.  This year was the first time I've been successful in acquiring any.  I opened one up the other night and it was a real treat.  The nose had some chocolatey notes with roasted malt - nothing too overpowering.  The first sip was a real delight - bitter chocolate with some sweet molasses coming through.  As it warmed, it opened up a bit (12% abv) and turned into a really special stout...even had some dark fruit type flavors on the finish.  Again, I'm super happy that I finally had this one and look forward to the bottle stashed away in the beer fridge to see how it ages.  I think it will really open up with a bit of aging on it!  If you're lucky enough to find this one, I highly recommend it for the stout enthusiasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment