Sunday, February 26, 2012

Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique

In an earlier post I reviewed my favorite Baltic Porter, Olfabrikken.  Recently, I've read that Olfabrikken may be out of business, which is horrible to hear.  Any bottles I see of it out there I'm going to try to pick up and save as there just may not be any made...ever.  The good news is that while this style of beer doesn't have as much depth as an IPA or even a Double IPA, it does have some solid contenders.  

This is my top 5 Baltic Porters:
1. Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique
2. Olfabrikken Porter
3. Carlsberg Sverige D. Carnegie & Co Stark Porter
4. Oy Sinebrychoff Porter
5. Smuttynose Baltic Porter
5a. Surly Smoke (had only a sample size at a tasting)

My new number 1 is one I just discovered recently, Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique from Canada.  Bottles of Les Trois Mousquetaires have been appearing in local stores and I always thought I should try one of their beers.  However, none really caught my attention until I saw this Baltic Porter at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont. 

The bottle is dark & menacing, the cork literally took all my might to get it out, and the pour was beautiful.  The nose was pretty faint, but I could definitely smell some roasted malts.  I was not expecting much when I bought this beer, but the first sip was a complete surprise of yummy goodness.  After my first sip, I let it sit for a little bit to warm up & open up.  After that I could taste notes of cherry, chocolate, roasted malt, and even some molasses/sugary notes.  Each sip was a bit different, as I got some citrus and dark fruit, and some good moments of heat from the alcohol.  

Absolutely amazing Baltic Porter.  I highly recommend this for anyone that enjoys a very complex beer.  I hope to have it again VERY soon.

Kev Rating: A+
Style: Baltic Porter
ABV: 10.00%
IBUs: ?
Availability: Just discovered this one @ Craft Beer Cellar.  Did see another at Ball Square Fine Wines in Somerville
Had: 750ml Bottle into Snifter
Region: Brossard, Quebec, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment